Burnaby, BC – by Austin Cozicar
SFU Hockey is pleased to announce a commitment for the 2019/20 BCIHL season from Langley Rivermen forward Trevor Ayre.
“He’s going to definitely bring some scoring ability to our offensive group and he’s a guy who can play at the level we need him to play — skates, gets up and down the ice well, he’s a solid body,” says head coach Mark Coletta. “We’re looking at him to be an impact guy right away, to be honest.”
In the 2017/18 season, Ayre split the season between the Rivermen of the BCHL and the Drayton Valley Thunder of the AJHL, putting up 25 goals and 56 points in 58 games, earning the team MVP honour with the Thunder.
Last season, he re-joined the Rivermen, and led the team in goals scored with 23.
He also played for the Cowichan Valley Capitals and Salmon Arm Silverbacks of the BCHL, and had a successful major midget career with the Valley West Hawks, where he put up 55 points in his final season.
Joining SFU Hockey, Ayre is willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.
“Last year I was our goalscorer, that was kind of just the role that I had, but years before that, I was kind of a hard work, forecheck, kind of simple plays [style of player],” says the 5’11”, 170 lb forward. “I would like to contribute in any way.”
The chance to study at a top-tier school near home and to continue playing high-calibre hockey drew him to SFU.
Ayre says he’s looking forward to “the whole experience of university life and hockey as well, and just the student athlete experience.”
Ayre joins a 2019/20 SFU recruiting class which includes:
– Delta Ice Hawks (PJHL) forward Daniel Rubin
– Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) goaltender Andrew Henderson
– Selkirk College Saints (BCIHL – transfer) goaltender Patrick Zubick
– Nipawin Hawks (SJHL) defenceman Colten Gerlib
– Nipawin Hawks (SJHL) forward Christian Bosa
– Connecticut Jr. Rangers (USPHL) forward Takato Cox
– AJHL veteran Adamu Tanaka
– Surrey Eagles (BCHL) captain Ty Westgard
– Richmond Sockeyes captain Matt Brown
– Edmonton Oil King (WHL) defenceman Jordan Dawson
– Red Lake Miners (SIJHL) defenceman Matt Krawiec
– North Van Wolf Pack (PJHL) captain Justin Lee
– Richmond Sockeyes (PJHL) Assistant Captain Jake Keremidschieff
SFU takes on TWU on September 21st at the Bill Copeland Sports Centre for the 2019 Captain’s Cup. This pre-season game is FREE for all fans to attend!