SFU Hockey is pleased to announce a commitment for the 2019/20 BCIHL season from Delta Ice Hawks forward Daniel Rubin.
“He had a lot of success with the Ice Hawks, he put up some good numbers over his years there,” says head coach Mark Coletta. “A guy that should be able to contribute wherever he fits into the lineup.”
Rubin put up 166 regular season points with the PJHL’s Delta Ice Hawks over four seasons with the team.
In 2018/19, Rubin put up 66 points — 29 goals and 37 assists — in 43 games, good for fourth in PJHL scoring, sharing the team-lead for points and goals.
The 5’10”, 165 lb forward played a key role in the Ice Hawks’ playoff successes in 2017 and 2018, with the team earning first place in the Shaw Division in 2017 before falling in the PJHL finals, and earning the league title in 2018 and a silver medal in the Cyclone Taylor Cup.
“I think I’m a pass-first guy, pretty good two-way forward. I play winger, I play centre a little bit. Pretty good 200 ft player,” says Rubin of his game.
Rubin already has a year of university under his belt, starting his studies in Criminology last year while playing his final season with the Ice Hawks.
He is looking forward to his first year in the BCIHL.
“I’ve heard all good things about the league, it’s a really good league, it’s really fast,” he says.
Rubin joins a 2019/20 SFU recruiting class which includes:
– Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) goaltender Andrew Henderson
– Selkirk College Saints (BCIHL – transfer) goaltender Patrick Zubick
– Nipawin Hawks (SJHL) defenceman Colten Gerlib
– Nipawin Hawks (SJHL) forward Christian Bosa
– Connecticut Jr. Rangers (USPHL) forward Takato Cox
– AJHL veteran Adamu Tanaka
– Surrey Eagles (BCHL) captain Ty Westgard
– Richmond Sockeyes captain Matt Brown
– Edmonton Oil King (WHL) defenceman Jordan Dawson
– Red Lake Miners (SIJHL) defenceman Matt Krawiec
– North Van Wolf Pack (PJHL) captain Justin Lee
– Richmond Sockeyes (PJHL) Assistant Captain Jake Keremidschieff
SFU takes on TWU and UBC for the 2019 Captain’s Cup in September prior to kicking off the 2019/20 BCIHL season in October.