SFU Hockey

Clan Comeback Falls Short Against TWU in Final Game of 2017

BURNABY, BC — Spencer Unger and Mac Colasimone both put up two points on the board, but it wasn’t enough against the Trinity Western Spartans, on route to a 3-2 loss.

SFU surrendered three early goals, but scored two goals in the second period and controlled the pace of play for much of the second and third period.

“[With] our effort level tonight, if we play like that, we’re going to win most of our games,” said forward Tim Chow. “But Trinity’s pretty good defensively, they like to collapse a lot in their own zone, and it’s tough to get shots through and create chances.”

The Clan were victims to a number of unlucky bounces early on, and when Jordan Rendle received a whiffed clearing chance on the power play, he made the quick shot to put Trinity Western up 1-0 just over four minutes in.

Evan Last doubled the score before the end of the period, and Brandon Potomak made it 3-0 off a miscue at the SFU net near the beginning of the second.

SFU’s comeback attempt started just 42 seconds after the Spartans’ final goal, when Unger got the puck from Colasimone and spun a backhand shot just past Silas Matthys to get the Clan within two.

While he didn’t receive an assist on the play, Braxton Bilous set up SFU’s second goal with a saucer pass from the defensive zone. Unger touched it briefly, before Colasimone worked it into the zone. Held up by the Trinity Western defender, Colasimone left the puck for Brendan Lamont, who sniped the puck in.

SFU outshot 25-14 TWU in the final two frames, and looked dangerous in the final two minutes with the goalie pulled, but couldn’t find another goal and complete the comeback.

SFU went zero-for-four on the power play. Lyndon Stanwood made 24 saves on 27 shots (.889 SV%), while SFU put up 34 shots.

Jayden Piattelli received a game misconduct for a check from behind midway through the third period.

With the loss, the gap between second and third — TWU and SFU widens. Trinity Western heads into the break with 20 points to SFU’s 12, though SFU has two games in hand. Fourth placed VIU tied SFU’s points total, but have played one more game.

BCIHL action resumes the weekend of January 5th and 6th, as SFU heads to the Island to take on UVic and VIU.

Three Stars:
1st Star: TWU #19 Brandon Potomak (1G, 0A, GWG)
2nd Star: SFU #20 Spencer Unger (1G, 1A)
3rd Star: TWU #17 Jordan Rendle (1G, 0A)

AROUND THE BCIHL: Vancouver Island upset the Selkirk College Saints on Saturday with a 6-4 win in Castlegar. VIU entered the third period with a 5-2 lead, but Selkirk scored twice in the third to make it a one-goal game. With 28 seconds left, Alex Milligan scored an empty-netter against his old team to ensure the victory. With the win, VIU ties SFU’s point total heading into the break.